Thursday, July 22, 2004

"Unmitigated Arrogance"

This president doesn't get it. He thinks the swagger of his talk and body language attracts others to him. He doesn't consider himself answerable to We the People. It's time We the People let him know that he is answerable - at the ballot box.

"We The People," says our living Constitution. However, reading a passage from Bob Woodward's recent book, Senator Robert Byrd quotes President George Bush as saying, "'I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation.'" Byrd bristles. "Such hubris," he said. "Unmitigated arrogance. He's talking about the people here. That one little paragraph explains better than I could ever explain the contempt this man shows for the sovereignty of the people of this country." Again, Byrd is correct: Our Nation's freedom is based upon the reason of "We The People," not the hubris of "I the President."

(Courtesy of Veterans for Common Sense)



Posted by a Vet -- -- permanent link